We’re so glad you’re here!!
Every outstanding community needs a great library and every great library needs Friends. The Friends of Kennett Library is a membership based organization of library enthusiasts made up of residents of Kennett Square borough and the townships of Kennett, New Garden, Newlin, Pennsbury, Pocopson, and East & West Marlborough. Formed in March, 2020 at the direction of the Library Board of Trustees, we have been handed the easiest job in the world, to assist in the support and celebration of the Kennett Library.
In lieu of our Bayard Taylor Home & Garden Tour this year, the Friends of Kennett Library are sponsoring a community Shop & Dine Raffle, with 31 chances to win $100 (two $50 gift certificates) to local shops and restaurants. Click here for more information.
Friends of Kennett Library Board of Directors – 2020
Sara Leff, President
Annette Bowers, Vice President
Carol Yetter, Secretary
Gail Bowden, Library Board Liaison
Megan Walters, Library Director
At Large Board Members
Mary Hutchins, Capital Campaign Liaison
Mission of the Friends of Kennett Library
Our mission is to actively support the Library through advocacy, volunteer services and fundraising.
Who we are?
We are a network of enthusiastic library supporters, working to enhance the already established place of the Kennett Library as the center of information, learning, culture, social connection, and civic engagement in our community.
What we do?
- Increase community awareness of the Library
- Sponsor the biennial Bayard Taylor Home & Garden Tour
- Advocate for the Library at the local level for increased financial support
- Keep our members informed and engaged with the Library
- Hold an annual membership drive, to grow the Friends group and celebrate the Library
- Encourage gifts, endowments and bequests for the benefit of the Library
- Contribute our time and talent as needed
The Kennett Library receives 67% of it’s annual operating expenses from local municipalities, and must raise the remaining 33% every year. As a committee operating under the direction of the Board of Trustees of the Kennett Library, 100% of the funds raised by the Friends go directly to the operations and programming of the Library. Fund raising will occur through membership dues and The Biennial Bayard Taylor Home and Garden Tour.
Your show of support of the Kennett Library through Membership of the Friends is greatly appreciated and can be made is several ways:
- By completing the online Membership Application and submitting it in person to the Circulation Desk of the Kennett Library
- By completing the online Membership Application and mailing it to:
216 E. State Street
Kennett Square, PA 19348
- Completing and submitting a paper Membership Application available at the Circulation Desk
Click below for the Friends of Kennett Library Membership Application
Benefits of being a Friend of Kennett Library
No library fines for FRIENDS
Invitation to FRIENDS Member Appreciation events
Advanced registration for space limited library programs
Free movie rentals
Invitation to the Kick off Home and Garden Tour Friends Garden Party
The knowledge that your support of the Kennett Library makes our community better.
The History of the Special Events Committee
In 1989, Library Board Chairman Tom Swett asked Susan del Baso to form a committee to “Make the Library some money.” Susan enlisted JoAnn Shoemaker, Audrey Donohue, Nancy Olson, G. Margaret Hennes and Stefanie Gulden Jackson and thus was born the Special Events Committee (SEC). And make money for the Library they did.
In 1990 the first annual Bayard Taylor Memorial Library Home and Garden Tour was held. Following the success of this first event, the group decided to add a fall fundraiser. In the fall of 1991, the committee held its first Bayard Taylor Memorial Library Kitchen Tour which ran as an annual event for six years, from 1991-1996.
From its beginnings in 1990 through 2020, the SEC created and held other fundraisers to benefit the Library such as the Gift Box from 1998-2007 and First Night, but it was the Home and Garden Tour that became the signature event, raising over $600,000.00 for the Library.
We would like to give thanks and recognition to all past members of the SEC who gave countless hours to benefit the Library as Founders of the SEC and/or serving as Chairpersons of the Home and Garden Tour for one or more years.
Should anyone have photos of these members, activities related to the planning or Home and Garden event, and be willing to share them with us, we would love to include them in our Historical File and on this web page.
Susan del Baso
G. Margaret Hennes
Stephanie Gulden Jackson
Chairpersons of the Home and Garden Tours throughout the years
Susan Del Baso
Marylou A. Bristol
Mary Nell Ferry
Babara C. Heckman
G. Margaret Hennes
Margorie U. Kaskey
Everitt L. Miller